Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Gluten Free Food Fest Minneapolis


This post is a bit late, but the information is still good.  Last month I went to the Gluten Free Food Allergy Fest at the Minneapolis Convention Center.  I'm sure the speakers were fabulous, giving talks about allergy free living, but I just went for the food and brought home my orange swag bag full of samples and information that I collected.

Here are some of the highlights from the food fair:


Cheerios

For my first stop I made a bee-line for the Cheerios booth. Cheerios is the cereal I've missed most since I've been gluten free.  I was hoping they'd have samples, but they didn't.  However, according to the Cheerios site, General Mills is slated to release five flavors of gluten free Cheerios by July 2015 - Original, Honey Nut, MultiGrain, Apple Cinnamon and Frosted.  They should be on the shelves by Sept. Yeaaa, more b-fast options!

 
Freedom Foods

Freedom Foods is another cereal brand that I've seen in limited varieties at the co-ops, but at the booth, they had ten different kinds! They had a two for $5.00 deal on products which is pretty good when you're talking about breakfast cereals.  I bought the Ancient Grain Flakes and a pancake mix in a small jug - just add water, shake and pour.  (It was good, but I am a pancake hound, and it didn't seem like enough mix for two people.)

Books

There were several books available for purchase, and even though I have numerous cookbooks, I had to buy Sweet Debbie's Organic Treats by Debbie Adler.  (It had a gorgeous cupcake on the cover, what can I say?) Allergy-Free and Vegan Recipes - no gluten, eggs, dairy, soy, sugar or nuts.  Really?
I asked her what she used for an egg substitute and she said she really didn't have one but figured out over time how to work the ingredients together without eggs.  I've already tried the Blondies With Roots; brought them to a gathering, and they were a hit.  I like the all-purpose flour mix because it uses millet, teff and quinoa flour.  The book is also very entertaining to read.  www.sweetdebbiesorganiccupcakes.com

Other books and resources:

Mylifewithfoodallergies.com - a host of allergy free bloggers.
Gluten Free & More Magazine - formerly Living Without (I'm a long-time subscriber.)
Celiac and the Beast by Erica Dermer.  Also her blog:  http://celiacandthebeast.com/
Beyond Flour by Marie Porter



New Things to Try

Way Better Snacks
I brought home samples from Way Better snacks.  There were five or six different kinds of chips (corn chip texture) and I picked out 2 - sweet potato and mult-grain.  They also had four or five kinds of Plentils (baked Cheeto texture) made from lentils and I chose two: the (dairy free!) Dill & Sour Cream and Garlic Parmesan.

Earth Balance - One of the newer things with Earth Balance they have dairy free cheese popcorn.  Someone brought it to a party, and I almost ate the whole bag by myself.

Mike's Hard Lemonade - three flavors - lemonade, black berry and apple cider.

Three Bakers - Really good gluten and dairy free bread, but with eggs.  (I'm sampling a piece of cinnamon bread as I write this.)   



Schar bread, rolls, pasta, cookies; gluten dairy egg free;
Some of their products have eggs.



Sauce Goddess - sauces, spices and dairy free carmel corn


Beanfields - rice and bean chips
Country Gal - from Iowa.  Entrees, desserts, soups, baked goods


Simply Native - wild rice hot cereals  (found at Taylor Made)

Soupology - really good soups - Ancient Grains, Spinach and Kale, Roasted Butternut and Red Pepper (Lunds, Byerly's, Peoples Food Co-op in Rochester)

Paleo Protein - wraps, protein bars, snacks

Wild Tree - oils, spice mixes and bread mixes; their flavored grapeseed oils are amazing - bacon flavor, butter flavor, lemon.

Buffalo Valley Grains - A whole line of different kinds of flours.  (found at Anona Gourmet, Cub Foods, Festival foods, Marianne's Kitchen.) 

My Grandpa's Farm - baking mixes







Arbonne - anti-aging skin products  (St. Louis Park)



Services and Household Stuff

Sleep A Head - My spouse and I bought micro bamboo rayon memory foam pillows from Sleep A Head.  Memory foam that breathes.  So far they've been working out pretty well. 

Gluten free food tester  - I didn't catch the name but there will be a new device where you can test your foods and tell within two minutes for gluten.  They will be out in the summer.  They're also working on one to detect dairy and possibly peanuts.  If anyone out there has more info, let me know.   


All in all, the Gluten Free Food Fest was a tasty and informative experience!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! This is your table mate,
    Suzanne, from the Parkview B&B.
    I don't have Celiac Disease, but I
    also try to avoid gluten, dairy and
    eggs. (I didn't realize that Donna
    could accommodate me, so I just
    took one for the team last weekend!)

    Gluten Fest sounds like a great thing
    to look out for next year. I really
    appreciate how you've listed all the
    places to purchase the items that
    you liked, and I will be looking for
    some of them! Mainly, I just try to
    avoid processed foods, but that's
    not always easy, especially when
    traveling : )

    It was really fun to meet you and
    your husband. I hope your weekend
    was relaxing as well as recharging.
    Enjoy the rest of our lovely September!

    Cheers,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete