Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Sculpture Gardens

Spoonbridge and Cherry
Speaking of the Walker, if there's a line for mini-golf, you can put your name on the waiting list, and while you're waiting, check out the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.  It's been many years since we'd been there, and it was great to see some of the old favorites as well as the new installments.

Though I enjoy abstract art, I've never been one to understand it fully.  I usually have my own interpretation or emotional response to a particular work and I'm sure others share this experience.  But what really helps is that you can go to the Walker Website and browse through names of the sculptures to read about the artist, their intent and the materials and ideas that they work with.  Check out:  http://www.walkerart.org/collections/ and use the search engine on the far right side of the page.

Of course I've always enjoyed the signature piece of the garden, the Spoonbridge and Cherry, and for me, I like works that bend reality, have movement or defy gravity.  I always forget how large this piece is until I'm actually there to see it.  (I've included the chairs in the picture which are several yards away to give a proper perspective.)  The spray of water from the tip of the cherry stem falls across the fruit of the cherry and then drops down into the spoon and then the pond surrounding it.

The atrium is a pleasant passage through a small glass building with some nice features, including the huge glass fish in the middle.

walkway through atrium
flowers along the sides
air plants on the wall


Standing Glass Fish
Woodrow

One of my all-time favorites is Woodrow, the horse sculpture.  The work is really bronze - individual pieces cast to look like hunks of wood.  (It fools a lot of observers.)  I like how each piece emphasizes the musculature of the horse and also the slight turn of the head gives it a sense of being alive.

Some of the other sculptures are pictured below.  If you haven't been to the Sculpture Garden in a while, go check it out.  It's a great outdoor activity for a summer evening, it can be rather inspirational, and best of all, it's free.

Hare on Bell on Portland Stone Piers
- classic stationary bell casting juxtaposed with the whimsical balancing rabbit


Standing Figure:  Knife Edge
Reclining Mother and Child
Nike


Without Words
(The artist is a former clothing designer.)
Bronze Woman IV
(I didn't see this until I looked at it from this particular angle.)










Ordovican Pore
-suggesting themes of both cellular biology and nuclear technology





For Whom...
The bell swings but has no clapper.









No comments:

Post a Comment