Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Artist-Designed Mini Golf

We were looking for something fun to do outside on a warm summer evening.  So, it was the perfect time to try Artist-Designed Mini Golf at the Walker Art Center.

What in the world is that?  Well, out on the grounds of the Walker near the Sculpture Garden, there are two 9-hole courses that are creatively designed by artists with different themes.

About once a year I usually enjoy a good game of putt putt.  The first time I played with a group of friends on a Florida trip, we laughed our way through the whole course.  And some of the laughs were directed at me.  I had trouble minimizing my swing.  I would step up to the tee, brandish my putter and everyone dove to the sidelines. 

"Why does everyone run away when I get up to bat?" I asked.

"Think about what you just said," my spouse called from several feet away.


Below are just a few of the themes at the Walker course.  The Artist Designed Course is open until Sept. 1.  Admission includes a one day museum pass.  For more information click on this link.

The stars in the constellations become obstacles.

Rock! Garden
Try to hit the musical instruments embedded beneath the rock.

Be a Sculpture
Opponents stand on the footprints to help or hinder the putter.
Curling Club
Right on Cue
Use your putter like a pool cue.
Wield your putter on a ping pong table.
The paddles can either help or hurt your score.


Tricky!  Opponents can move a board into the open hole that you've been aiming for in the past four shots, and then you have to aim for a new one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment