Friday, June 29, 2012

Mango Salsa - When Food Becomes Art


I told myself that this wasn’t going to become a food blog.  There are plenty of really good food blogs out there.  However, I have to make an exception for a batch of fresh salsa.  There’s something about the colors, shapes, and the mingling of flavors that insists that it be called a work of art that’s worthy of a photo shoot. 

I made this batch of Mango Salsa for a party the other night.  It’s always a hit.  It takes a bit of time to make (lots of chopping), but it’s well worth the effort.  And if you’ve ever made salsa, you know it’s almost impossible to make a small batch.  Therefore, salsa is made to be shared, and usually it’s at a party! 

I can’t claim complete credit for this recipe.  I attended a graduation party several years ago and someone had brought it.  I was immediately addicted to it, and since I didn’t know the maker of the salsa very well, I studied it carefully and wrote down the ingredients when I got home. 
Hope you enjoy this one!

Mango Salsa

About 8-10 tomatoes chopped (more or less depending on your preferences)
1 small green bell pepper, roasted and chopped
1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
(To roast red & green peppers, put them in the oven on broil for about 15-20 minutes, turning often.  Remove and let cool.  Chop into small pieces.)
1 cup peeled mango, diced
¼ cup diced red onion
2 ½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
1 finely chopped Serrano or jalaeno pepper (for mild salsa, omit)
¼ teaspoon cumin (I use whole leaf)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained
1 small can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 lime, squeezed
1 can green chili peppers, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients together and stir well.  Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment