Saturday, June 9, 2012

Broken Glass

A word about mosaics. They are fascinating!  For me as a dancer I'm so used to having a goal of creating lines, shapes and curves that extend or connect. I think what excites me about a mosaic are the many pieces all broken up that are fitting back together in a new way. I don't know; it's like a suspended explosion that catches your breath and then you hold onto it forever.

I read a book once that was about mosaics. Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos was an enjoyable journey exploring a non-traditional family and themes that symbolize brokenness.  An older woman dying of a brain tumor lives in a house full of expensive antique glass, and she purposely shatters it.  She befriends a young woman who has an estranged relationship with her father.  The two women create mosaic artwork from the broken pieces and they find healing in what they do.  

A friend of mine does this same sort of artwork.  You can check out her website, My Mosaics by Linda Mix Yates:  http://www.lindamixyates.com/  Linda creates lovely artwork out of broken glass and dishes which is called picassiette.  For me, the most fascinating thing, though, is how her artwork has evolved over the years (I think 18) that I've known her.  I still have a set of stained glass candle holders that she gave me early on in our friendship.  Nice, simple, and I've always loved them, but she tells me that was her "early work." I've seen her other projects - one of them was a coffee table that she picked up probably at a garage sale and redid the top with broken saucers and plates.  She's created mirror and picture frames and worked on whole bathroom sink countertops and fireplace walls.  

I think Linda's most current work is my favorite.  Her mosaic wall murals show movement and energy.  When I look at them, I feel the same excitement, the same suspension that I would find in other mosaics, yet I also find a sense of calm, as though I'm being taken on a journey by a very capable tour guide.  

As we write our stories or create our art or develop our performances, may we be the healers of brokenness and be those capable tour guides for the audiences that are watching us.  


4 comments:

  1. I like how you relate dancing and mosaic art.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae! Sounds like you've done some dancing (Zumba). Hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your blog. This is the first time I've read your writing (aside from e-mails and notes). I absolutely love your idea of performance as psychological/spiritual healing. It feels ancient and right...like shamans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle! I've always thought of dance as a form of prayer and sometimes I think of those who need healing when I dance. :-)

    ReplyDelete